Re: An observation about Yinkin

From: donald_at_7jQvdFeWC-IExBcT9-Mnap3vVdhNYogmDezCTvWmGHYiQBZm69YZkmYu6ZpyOVmD9wA7O
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 23:57:21 GMT

In message <9277ad4a0811070823u2aed34aex5877f793d71f423f_at_25lbcvdg-eiacn4Vyq6-zNcTsk5ARm5UGQdhY8O19CjR5kHO0cBOA6Y71MswmJuIO9-QsRkgsqMqdLj2u674GvdSVpJ5V5YCYVUdbg1-ArAoEENFvV4zfV9d6sfLQ3Wpqqs.yahoo.invalid> "Greg Stafford" writes:
>YGWV

>On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:47 PM, <donald_at_ZvTJ402T9zRGwQMwKvmbWcB-sM9T6LD_SVrQu-jFlZgrqTu9W79nDzXTE41NjSGpTXdUvtt557GJribr59cUx6s.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>> Published Gloranthan material assumes mortality rates much closer to
>> modern western ones on the assumption that magic provides equivelent
>> benefits to technology.
>
>Will you single some of these sources out for me?

I can't find anything which specifically refers to mortality rates. But take Thunder Rebels as an example. The marriage section mentions divorces but nothing about the death of a spouse. There's one mention of widows (in a specifically female context) but none of widowers. There's no mention of stepmothers (wicked or otherwise). This is pretty consistant across all publications - young NPCs are described with both parents living and no mention of dead siblings.

On the magic side we have the ability to heal horrendous battle wounds which would require a modern field hospital in the RW. Yet high birth and maternal mortality is mainly caused by infections and internal injuries. Most of which are trivial in comparison to a sword slash in the stomach.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/