Development of Teshnan society

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_JVe9DIoHOnzxHX1JZastpEvjvOY_IjC8YkZ7h7B0q99rX56aIK-GUkPa5kRynm3L_CE>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:33:40 +1300

A good criticism for my model of Teshnan society based on reincarnation (technically transmigration) is that it sets Chal, a great sage of mythical times, as being far too worldly and magically sophisticated to be a proper sage.

As a result I think that Chal was pretty conventional in his three teachings and when he taught them, he envisaged it as a here-and-now practice rather than a study to be systematically pursued over the generations. Reincarnation was accepted as a matter of fact and past incarnations were identified but there was little control over it.

So where did the transmigration technology come from? My gut feeling is the Babadi/Mostali of Diamond Mountain. All that's required is for some Teshnan Hero (probably Soravatoor) to conquer them and convert them to the Teachings of Chal. At first they built the Immense Prayer Wheel that lies in hollow Diamond Mountain to help them understand the Teachings better and then at some magical moment (the Sunstop) they developed transmigration.

I don't think the Prayer Wheels are a Babadi invention rather they are a ritual practice which the Teshnans learned from the Juggernauts (big wheels going round and round). In my opinion, the Juggernauts came from drowned Abzered and were worshipped by the Teshnans. The Babadi simply used their knowledge of the World Machine to pimp up the Prayer Wheels.

--Peter Metcalfe