Re: a sense of deja vu

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_a_4DQQ5BaAhOKbU-50_kUl1gAGsoMkTldO2a8qRhALwc5zGIzF83pz6EK6adYBgX0AD>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:18:26 +1300

On 10/18/2010 12:01 PM, julianlord wrote:

> This is true, but I can't help but feel that this is the smoking gun
> that here we have yet another remnant of God Learner
> experimentation.

Except the God Learners were nowhere near the Blue Moon Plateau and weren't in the habit of making magical changes in cults from a great distance (however they would have *loved* to be able to make such changes...).

> I've always thought that the religion of the Blue Moon Plateau was a
> deliberately GL-contrived hodgepodge of various Blue Moon cults all
> rolled into one, some time during the Second Age.

> The write up is almost *blatant* in its descriptions that the various
> groups of worshippers round Glorantha actually have nothing
> whatsoever to do with each other, and yet somehow they all belong to
> the same cult ?? God Learners woz here. :)

I think you are reading too much into the style of the cult writeup. A similar complaint could be made about Lodril as present in the Cult Compendium. If it were to be written up today, the Uz Cult would be much different in appearance, namely being based on the Pelorian Blue Moon Story (as present in Troll Facts #3) and removing the spell from Artmal (It's not that Artmal doesn't provide a runespell to his mother The basis of the cult in secrets and assassination would be unchanged.

For the other two human groups, I really don't see any evidence of assassin cults in Teshnos, Fonrit and Kothar. Teshnan assassins would be the gloranthan thuggee and worship Thanatar. Fonritan assassins on the other hand would be associated with Jokutu, Garangordos's murderer.

Looking at Revealed Mythologies, I would associate the Artmali Blue Moon Cults more strongly with power over the tides (which is absent in the Uz version) and extend this from simple water control to magics.

--Peter Metcalfe