Re: Draft Map of Genertela at the Dawn

From: Jeff <richaje_at_p276cP-Yg4q_F8v71t4r2jI-82dK9WyHN6Bwjm0suqTx-xRuT0wSyHeCM5xbcLPXEHC8>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 05:14:35 -0000

> Some interesting stuff even on that single, draft, map.
> The Tallgreen woods - a large elf forest that I've never
> heard of ever! Why have we not heard from these guys in recorded
> history?

>From my notes from Greg: The Tallgreen Woods are a casualty of the Green Wars - a strange and secretive war between and within many of the elf forests. Tallgreen Woods were destroyed (the Kraloreli claim that horse nomads aided in its destruction) and the elf forests of Ralios greatly weakened.

> The Fronelan Greenwoods are MASSIVE at the Dawn compared to
> their size now! Same goes for pretty much all aldryami forests.
> Interesting I always found the isolated aldryami in the Stinking
> Forest a bit of an anomaly, but now that I can see they are a sad
> remnant of what used to be part of the Elder Wilds forest

Yes. The elves have lost out more than any of the other Elder Races. They are actually a bit more extensive in the next map (not counting the loss of Tallgreen), but after that, the decline begins. Comparing the last maps of the series with the first is a bit of a shock.

> Also interesting how big the Blue Moon Trolls are at the
> Dawn, they've always seemed a less important troll stronghold than
> Dagori Inkarth or the Shadow Plateau but maybe not so at the Dawn.

Blue Moon has always been a very important troll stronghold. The difference is that Dagori Inkarth and Shadow Plateau are very near the center of the action and the Blue Moon is a long way away. But if you lived in First Blessed, you'd know about them. And fear the Blue Moon a lot more than those other strongholds.

> Horse lords cover a fairly large area, but Dara Happa isn't
> even on the map as such?

At the Dawn, the various horse lords are a kaleidoscope of petty empires. I'm saving that map for the Lunar Empire book though. You want history - that book will have it.

> And this map also emphasizes how important the Kingdom of
> Ignorance really is in the East, as the other major alternative
> culture to the Kralorelans, and how little we know about them.

Yep. Ignorance conquered Kralorela in the Darkness. The evil false Emperor Sekever was the ruler of Ignorance, but was finally destroyed by Daruda in the event that created the Suam Chow (and more or less established the geography of historical Kralorela).

Jeff