Re: The City of Wonders: an Investigation (Part 2)

From: jorganos <joe_at_im8Z7AOkJFbTwGKbygoxS4daapmVpK0fs5Wjwz8zfzQrUv4s8yH6kL2Qpsw3gxgSt9haruto>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:37:43 -0000

You know, I tend to duck when any questions about the durulz arise...

As to Sauces (in Part 1), I have seen parts of a Sartar map by Greg with an incredible amount of terrain detail (height lines).

Which Sartar prince built which wall? Obviously, Sartar himself built a structure that gave the Durulz a fortified place to call a city, even if that wasn't used too much. I pretty much doubt that Jarolar was the original builder of the walls of Jarolar Keep - but he must have done some work on those walls. Possibly Jarolar enhanced the walls, in terms of thickness and height. Jarolar was the heir to Saronil's dwarf technology, which may have been more advanced than the Kethaelan technology introduced by Wilms a generation earlier. Only the Boldhome Wall facing Killard Vale was dwarf-built among Sartar's cities.

Sartar was a hero for Issaries. I think he would have had a keen understanding on the requirements of trade, so if he builds a dead end highway towards the upper navigable point of the River, I expect him to situate the city in a way that it could contribute to the trade. That rules out Stone Nest as the original city built by Sartar, IMO, and makes an unlikely candidate for anything built by Jarolar.

So what is Stone Nest if not a recent Sartarite foundation? obviously something older. Probably a place to flee to whenever found themselves under attack in earlier times. That would explain the general absence of permanent settlements inside that wall.