Re: Heroes

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:17:14 EST

In a message dated 11/18/00 7:39:41PM, you write:

<< But heros are, by definition, exceptional people with skills above normal.  Those skills take time to acquire, indeed the average life expectancy  means that it is unlikely that an individual will obtain more than a  single group of related skills. >>

I do not think this is the point and I do not agree with your definition of a hero. Heroism is not about good training. It is about exceptional people with exceptional abilities. Heortling society is more likely to create heroic individuals because heroism is valued, the traits that exist is heroes are encouraged, and individualism makes the most of individual talents (that may have been supressed in a more civilised (eg Dara Happan) society.

Keith N