Re: Buying & increasing (follower abilities and) keywords

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:06:53 +0100

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:24:54PM -0800, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> The motive would be for Sidekicks, I think, rather than Player Heroes

OK, I can see more of a case for it here, as long as we're clear we're _not_ articulating a general principle.

> A sidekick *should* be growing along with his Hero. However,
> there should not be a rule to use HP to "buy up" keywords. Let the Sidekick
> get "keyword" bumps along with the Hero during Advanced Experience. The
> question each group then needs to ask is: "Does he get his own keyword
> raises, or does the player have to split them between his main hero and his
> sidekick?"

I'm not sure I get this: are you applying Adv. Exp. per game year, or something like that? I hadn't considered using it in that way. Very sensitive to how game time is being managed, clearly.

I rather feel we've gone from one extreme in HW (follower feeding frenzy) to the other in HQ (it's as expensive to increase a follower ability as one of your own, and less useful). I feel there must be an Obvious Compromise here. Or at least, a feasible one. Perhaps something like 1HP to increase a follower keyword, or two ability by one/one by two? (Subject to sanity constraints relating them to level of the 'base' character.)

Cheers,
Alex.