Disciple Questions

From: yinkin_the_cat <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:23:56 -0000

Howdy,

One of the characters in the Gwandor Saga (Gudny) has just become a Storm Lord/Disciple. I have some questions for the community:

Wind Lords are required to lose all magic gained from _membership_ in other Orlanth Aspects at this point. I assume that a Storm Lord is as well. Disciples in general may not _use_ magic from another god, not even other aspects. How does this affect magic gained through _heroquesting_ rather than _membership_. Frex, Gudny gained the Howl of Terror feat from the Gorangi Vak quest and Dragonslaying magic on an Alakoring heroquest. Neither ability is associated with a god. The dragon magic is from an Orlanthi hero. IMO, the Howl is out, it is NOT orlanth. I don't know about the dragonslaying though. Daylanus the Conquering Wind is Thunderous and there is nothing saying that dragon's weren't a foe that he defeated. Heck, Daylanus probably gave Orlanth the Klanth.

Wind Lords have ritual greetings they must use when encountering certain people or things. ST says that Storm Lords do but that they are different. Can anybody suggest some?

I think that any meeting with a non-Storm Tribe storm priest would be a challenge, ala Yavor.

Perhaps a meeting with a troll leads to a hurling contest ala Hedkoranth.

I think that the Chaos ritual stays.

Any suggestions or comments?

I think that the SL's divine companion would be an Urothrorol or an awakened spear(?)

I also think that a SL should disdain buildings and spend a lot of time skyclad.

Finally, how do people see the final transformation taking place? I am thinking that the applicant takes himself to Orlanth's Hall and undergoes come test or tests. Theoretically, if you have the requirements (warband support, know your secret, etc etc) you should not have any difficulty passing. But what do people think that those tests are? Or, does the applicant know when they are ready, hold a ceremony with their supporters, pass onto the gods plane and return full of Orlanth's immanence?

Do people know when they are looking at a disciple? Does a disciple have a more powerful presence than a devotee? I don't think so. I think that you would need to recognise a disciple from his actions.

Thoughts? Comments?

&#92;&#92;/esley

PS - one of the group's humakti is about to become a Death Sword so any comments there would be appreciated as well. :-)

www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha