Re: Pelorian forests

From: hsmith_at_...
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:27:50 -0000

> Mikko:
>
> > PS. Howcome there doesn't seem to be any forests in the Lunar
Empire? I know they don't get along with elves, but...

Most aldryami now live on the fringes of Peloria. The primary homes are:

  1. the lands north/west of Erigia (including Rathorela) where the elves fled after the Skyburn and the Char-un invasion.
  2. small scattered forests in Sylila which are the remnants of Rist, victim of the Moonburn at the end of the 1st wane. Prior to this, Rist was a small, but healthy forest--the western end of the ancient West Woods.
  3. the extensive forests of the Elder Wilds surrounding the Elf Sea and stretching north along the Rockwoods. These were also part of the ancient West Woods.

After the fall of Arkat, the West Wood had a couple periods of expansion between 500 and 650 which I believe are referenced in Fortunate Succession. The resurgence of DH and then the EWF pushed these forests back from the river ways. As populations have grown, more and more forests have been cut down and cleared to make way for extensive farming, both in DH lands and farther south in Saird, Sylila, etc. The burning of Rist was a way to clear ground for Lunar and Sylilan settlers.

The aldryami may well be nursing their wounds though, waiting to raise the forests again, sowing seeds across Sylila and Holay in secret.

Harald