The dreaded Teshnos banana riots

From: hcarteau_at_G5FJUFkCd9_RW2oJN77K4J5jCEFNvnYFk3rjj-URirYW4IDUtCwfj10OTuoH75Nh850
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:29:20 +0100

> Which gives a better flavour to Teshnan society? Exotic beardless
> dwarves wearing turbans or the standard dwarves wearing full plate and
> carrying firearms?

/// Yeah, exactly ! But why "beardless" ?

> > 7. Kab Tolat Solf - the Solf folks seem crazily degenerate, but here
> > is Solf in the name of a warrior god? I'm lost. And is this the same
> > Tolat as that of the Amazons? Lost again.
>
> Why is there a problem? What happens if the answer is yes to both
> questions?

/// Absolutely. It's yes to both questions. And it's both right and wrong in both cases.

> The goondas are in chain-gangs because they have been bad (public
> drunkeness, rioting over the price of bananas etc) not because they are
> slaves.

/// "rioting over the price of bananas" ??? Love that one.

> If you want Baboons in Teshnos then stick a population or small colony
> over in Thoskal. The Goondas are meant to be different from the
> Baboons, not just Baboons with orange fur.
/// They'd be more like orang utans wouldn't they ? Anyhow they're all refugees from Monkey City in Prax. When a star fell on it (the Monkey King had shown his, hum, privates to Yelm), the few survivors decided to move on.

> > 15.. The idea of Teshnans inheriting all possessions, debts,marriage
> > partners, and criminal guilt from past lives just seems like a big
> > problem socially
>
> Why is this a problem? The Dragonewts do something similar. When you
> see Rich Nobles and poor villagers, the average observer screams
> feudalism. By basing the society explicitly on reincarnation and karma
> (rather than just have it as an catchall doctrine to explain why bad
> things happen to good people), Teshnos becomes a more interesting society.
/// Yeah, I'm all for it too. Anyway most people don't remember their past lives. This credo wouldn't change much of everyday life - even adventurers' life. But it does give a strong flavor to Teshnos.