Seshnegi Questions

From: Scott <romulan_ace_at_EUBRI70S5Mvw6ImLFkxAMkjl9iGYCFUGe5VnBdWDzWAgFe1R6mC098BWYONufhl->
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:46:36 -0000

Here are the questions I'm most curious about. If there's a change over time element to the answer, I'm interested in things as they were in the reign of Froalar, which ended 24 ST. Thanks in advance for any and all insights.
  1. THE SOURCE OF POWER OF THE KNIGHT CASTE: In Cults of Terror, it states that the New Malkioni religion of 2 ST was "the spiritual support of the Hrestol knights." Assuming this is still seen as being the case, what was the nature of this support? Was it personal to the knight, perhaps sorcery spells learned from an original grimoire of knighthood, or heightened skills and/or powers gained during initiation? Or was it external, something channeled to the knight by someone or something to provide assistance in case of need? For example, perhaps the message of Joy reinvigorated Malkioni worship and venerative energies, some of which could be channeled to a knight, or maybe to a saint who would then have power to bless the knight or curse his opposition.

Probably there's a mix of things involved, but is one the most important? Let's say in a campaign Sir Player has decided to embark on an individual quest of knight errantry against the Great Lion of Jorilland, a supernatural foe that has already claimed the lives of many knights who have rode out against it. No doubt he will pray before setting out, ensorcel himself and his equipment, count on his sword skill, etc. When the actual encounter is being gamed, what one thing can the player point to and say, "Whew, I'm glad my knight character has power from X or I'd be in even more trouble than I am here!"

2. RELATIVE POWER OF KNIGHTHOOD: Is Hrestol's ability to kill the goddess Ifftala primarily from powers granted to him from being a knight or is it more due to factors unique to him (his lineage, his fate, etc.)? For example, let's imagine a campaign where, after Hrestol is banished from Seshnela, the Pendali successfully quest to gain a new divine ally which has the same strength and nature of Ifftala. Leaving aside YGWV, in a canon interpretation of knighthood is it reasonable to suppose that Sir Player could prepare himself sufficiently to repeat Hrestol's feat and slay the new Ifftala?

Second scenario: A skilled Seshnegi knight, prepared to the best of his (and his community's, if that matters) ability vs. a skilled Brithini horal armed and ensorcelled to the best Brithini standards. Leaving aside luck and such, which side has the odds in his favor?

3. THE PENDALI: These guys are described as being "civilized hsunchen" but I'm not sure what this means. Were their urban centers walled cities of stone like the Seshnegi or cruder hill forts? If they were walled cities, did the Pendali move in and take over existing centers and peoples? Did the Pendali wear metal armor in battle and use civilized weapons and tactics? Did they have access to sorcery or theistic magic? What was their main source of strength in war?