Re: Need a little help with heroquests

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:32:01 +0100

> From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
>I agree. However, I've been told that Greg says otherwise: the
>difficulty of a particular heroquest (story) is fixed, so if you want
>to have an easier time, you have to choose easier stories ('How
>Orlanth Fixed the Roof' rather than the LBQ).

I can see the attraction of both POVs. The LBQ should be tough! My personal compromise (supported by some external evidence) is that there are simpler abridged versions of most myths and stories. We suspect that there are several versions of the LBQ (at least two have been suggested). I'd think it would be common to perform abridged versions of longer quests or variant myth versions. So the start-up preparations might include successful completion of several stages leaving the heroes with fewer stages (on which they get more support).

Additional factors include the timing of the quest. Great heroes can get away with less support, less preparation and less auspicious dates. So an abridged LBQ on a high holy day supported by the whole clan is very different.

Thom